Wittman Tailwind

Maintenance

This is super simple. The screen is soldered to the threaded cap. Once you've removed it from the engine, simply heat up the solder with a blowtorch and work it free. I found this easiest done by holding it inverted in a drill, then slowly spinning it as the torch was heating it up. Eventually gravi...

I designed the oil access door in SolidWorks. Using the large, flat piece of material that was cut out of the bottom of the cowl, I asked my buddy at work to lasercut the part out for me. It turned out really nice. This access opening will be 1-inch wider and 1-inch taller than the opening in the...

The cowl is mounted, but it's a long way from finished. The next task is to work on the air intake section of the lower cowl. The previous cowl had a snorkel-type system which required fiberglassing skills that I don't have. Furthermore, by installing a C-150 air filter I'm gonna have to build the l...

The new exhaust system consists of four individual pipes, each between 28-32" long which means they definitely need support at both ends. Using some 1/8" all-thread and some 16-gauge (1/16") chromoly scrap from work, I fashioned up some hangers that provide some spring/shock-absorption to the exit e...

I intend to reuse the four existing cowl mount points on the fuselage.

I started by making the new mounting hardware: a 1.25" 1/4-28 bolt welded to a 1" washer.

Now that the new exhaust is installed I can get to work on a new heat muff that hopefully works (unlike my first one). I started out with a piece Dakota Cub PA-18 Leading Edge from a Super Cub that ground looped on take-off earlier this spring. The pilot and plane were okay, but one of the wings w...