Wittman Tailwind

Maintenance

The old belly panel was functional, but I didn't want to reuse it. It was worn out and dented and since I'm replacing just about every other external part on my airplane I may as well do this too.

I measured the hole locations on the original panel and used that info to design a new panel in Soli...

There's no turning back now. N11018 is officially Cub Yellow. Back when this whole project started, my initial plan was to have a bright matte white Tailwind when it was done. Just something simple that would be easy to add livery or decals to later on if I wanted. There was plenty of white and Cub...

The polybrush was applied last week followed by the silver ultraviolet protective coating. I wasn't around to get pictures of either of those. Today she got painted white in preparation for the final color of Cub Yellow.

One of the goals I have during this upgrade process is to make my Tailwind faster. I've read that fairing the gear legs has been shown to be worth an extra 10 knots and wheel pants can add 5 knots. I bought some ultralight wheel pants from a seller on ebay. There's no indication that N11018 has ever...

The sidewalls on N11018 definitely have some history. For starters, not one single screw hole is round any more. They are all stretched and oblong and what's strange is that they are elongated in different directions. Some stretch vertically; other horizontally. Some stretched to the edge of the mat...

Tim the cover guy spent last week covering the fuselage. He said this was different than all the Cubs he's done. N11018 got rolled in to the paint booth today and some time next week will be pinked, silvered, whited, then painted.