When I bought N11018 in August 2011, it also included a box of miscellaneous stuff and in that box were some fiberglass fairings that “clean up” the area where the lift strut attaches to the wing. They weren’t painted, but the silicone/caulking material that was left on the underside of the wing tells me they [...]

It’s self-explanatory, but here are some pix that may assist you in your Tailwind build.

I spent the past month installing the wings and rigging the flaps and ailerons, installing some RV gear leg stiffeners, and installing ultralight wheel pants. The RV gear leg stiffeners came from Flyboy Accessories. The wheel pants came from an ultralight supplier on eBay. These last two pictures are for admiration only. N11018 was built [...]

Look carefully and you can see how the two bottom panels fit into the sides. The yellow tape is what I used to create the straight lines for cutting along the curved surface (briefly discussed here). Now it’s time to fiberglass it in place.

Bye bye, oil screen. Hello, oil filter. As mentioned in previous posts, oil changes were not an easy task on my Tailwind mainly because of the removal, inspection, and reinstallation of the oil screen. I’ll spare the details, but trust me when I say it was a PITA! I’ve installed an Airwolf Remote Mount Oil [...]

This is super simple. The screen is soldered to the threaded cap. Once you’ve removed it from the engine, simply heat up the solder with a blowtorch and work it free. I found this easiest done by holding it inverted in a drill, then slowly spinning it as the torch was heating it up. Eventually [...]

I designed the oil access door in SolidWorks. Using the large, flat piece of material that was cut out of the bottom of the cowl, I asked my buddy at work to lasercut the part out for me. It turned out really nice. This access opening will be 1-inch wider and 1-inch taller than the [...]

The cowl is mounted, but it’s a long way from finished. The next task is to work on the air intake section of the lower cowl. The previous cowl had a snorkel-type system which required fiberglassing skills that I don’t have. Furthermore, by installing a C-150 air filter I’m gonna have to build the lower [...]

The new exhaust system consists of four individual pipes, each between 28-32″ long which means they definitely need support at both ends. Using some 1/8″ all-thread and some 16-gauge (1/16″) chromoly scrap from work, I fashioned up some hangers that provide some spring/shock-absorption to the exit end of the pipes. The pipes are 1.5″ diameter, [...]

I intend to reuse the four existing cowl mount points on the fuselage. I started by making the new mounting hardware: a 1.25″ 1/4-28 bolt welded to a 1″ washer. After marking the cowl where the fuselage mount points are located, they were fiberglassed into place. The red arrows show where these attach on the [...]

Now that the new exhaust is installed I can get to work on a new heat muff that hopefully works (unlike my first one). I started out with a piece Dakota Cub PA-18 Leading Edge from a Super Cub that ground looped on take-off earlier this spring. The pilot and plane were okay, but one [...]

A new exhaust system wasn’t required for my Continental O-200, but one thing that my airplane needs is some cabin heat. Unfortunately, the old exhaust wasn’t fashioned in a way that (easily) allowed for a heat muff. I did make a heat muff many years ago, but it was too small and didn’t have enough [...]

A local gentleman in a neighboring town is building a Wittman Tailwind W-10. He bought a fiberglass cowl and was unhappy with it so he told me if I can make it work for my W8, then I can have it. Perhaps this will be the world’s first attempt to fit a W-10 cowl onto [...]

This is the part I’ve been waiting for. These doors have been one of the most exciting parts of this entire rebuild. I’ve looked forward to having something like these on my Tailwind for many years. I can’t guess the number of hours in the past that I spent googling things like “patroller doors” and [...]

The wings are painted and are they ever shiny!

The Poly-brush has dried so now it’s time to add the Poly-spray for some ultraviolet protection.

I used Solidworks to design some frames to “sandwich” the rear windows into position. The old windows were bolted directly to the window frames (yellow arrow) and I’m sure that’s why many of the bolt holes in those windows had developed cracks. I didn’t want to make new frames, but a problem developed when the [...]

After the the Poly-fiber has been Poly-tak’d to a surface, the next job is to Poly-brush it in preparation for the Poly-spray. Holy poly, that’s a mouth full. With that being said, the wings have been pinked with Poly-Brush.